My boyfriend loves a creamy Alfredo sauce, but unfortunately I don’t love it so I never make it. It’s too rich and creamy and thick for me. I prefer a traditional Italian red sauce. I searched to find a recipe that would please us both and combined what I liked from two different recipes to make the below. This makes quite a bit of sauce for two, but perfect for serving 4-6 people.
- 2 heads of cauliflower
- 1 cup of vegetable stock
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups milk of your choice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ounces grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- Peel and chop the garlic. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the garlic. Saute the garlic until it’s soft but not dark brown.
- Chop the cauliflower, removing most of the stems.
- Bring the vegetable broth to a boil in a large pot. Add in the cauliflower. Cook 15-20 minutes or until very tender.
- Place cauliflower mixture in a blender, which you will need to add in batches. Add in the garlic mixture, 1 cup of milk, the remaining butter, pepper, lemon juice, salt and 1 ounce of cheese. Blend until smooth.
- Remove half of the sauce and place in a pot. Add in another batch of cauliflower and the rest of the cheese. Blend until smooth.
- Remove half of the sauce and place in the pot. Add in the rest of the cauliflower and milk. Blend until smooth and add to the pot.
- Stir the sauce to incorporate the different batches.
- Serve warm over pasta or risotto rice.
Note: Add broccoli, shrimp or scallops to create a delicious and healthy meal this weekend.